These crumbly, sweet and juicy blueberry crumble bars can be made any time of the year thanks to frozen berries!
In this recipe, the buttery almond base combines well with a layer of juicy, sweet Sujon blueberries and the extra crumble and almonds on top give it a lovely crunch. It looks pretty impressive and is fairly simple to make which is always a bonus!
Frozen berries are a staple in my house. They’re so versatile – I add them to yoghurt, porridge, smoothies and I also use them in baking. I used Sujon Blueberries for this recipe. Their blueberries originate from British Columbia in Canada and are big, juicy and sweet.
Blueberries get their beautiful deep blue colour from a group of compounds called anthocyanins. These plant compounds are also an antioxidant and are thought to protect the body from damage from free radicals. Blueberries also provide fibre and vitamin C.
These bars are yummy served alone. They’re also delicious warmed with yoghurt or ice cream and served with extra berries for a special dessert.
Here’s the recipe – Sponsored by Sujon Berries.
Blueberry Crumble Bars
For the base and crumble
- 100gbutter or margarine
- 3Tbspalmond butter
- 2/3cupsground almond
- 1/3cupwhite flour
- 1cupwholemeal flour
- ½cupcoconut or brown sugar
- 2cupsSujon blueberries
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1tablespoonchia seeds
- 1/4 cupsugar
Icing sugar and sliced almonds for topping
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Cut the butter into small cubes. Add to a food processor or blender with the almond butter and dry ingredients. Pulse until the mixture comes together.
- Line a slice tin with baking paper. Press ? of the mix into the tin firmly. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, then set aside.
- While the slice is in the oven, heat together the blueberries, chia seeds, flour and sugar in a small pot, stirring regularly until the berries are defrosted.
- Spoon the berries on top of the base and crumble the remaining base mixture over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until just golden.
- Leave to cool completely in the tin, then cut into slices. Dust with icing sugar and sprinkle with chopped almonds.
- Keep the bars in an airtight container in the fridge.